Thursday, August 2, 2012

Bees & East Van

I've been thinking a lot about beekeeping again. I had contacted a local beekeeper and was invited to go and check some hives with him last night. The hives are in the Cottonwood community garden in east van. It was so awesome. The gardens themselves are unbelievably picturesque, plus it was so nice to be around some bees. I found the below picture on-line:


I didn't take any pictures of the hives last night, but I have taken a few of others here and there:



I have so many good things connected with beekeeping. For one, beekeeping is very connected with my dad, because we kept hives together for a few years. And I love the fact that my grampa (dad's dad) also kept bees. Last night I was reminded of the interesting generational mix that beekeeping is. I also connect beekeeping with a very peaceful vibe. You have to be fairly gentle around bees, and in reality a lot of what you are doing is watching the bees do what they do. I always come away with a good feeling and smelling all smokey. I hope I can find some way to keep a hive next year. Last night I learned how much longer the season is here.

Also yesterday I went to east van twice, once to pick up a veil from this new store, which is pretty amazing, and the only place you can buy beekeeping equipment in Vancouver. And secondly, later to the community gardens. Although my job was in the downtown east side, I never spent a lot of time there outside of work. I found myself approaching the area with a totally different perspective yesterday.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I'm still totally interested in this, so text me if anything comes up! I want to learn as much as possible :)

    ReplyDelete

My photo
New resident of Vancouver, B.C. Student of counselling and art therapy. Collector of scrap paper. Writer of songs and other things. I sing a lot. Eater of lentils. Shopper of old, used things. Crafter. Beekeeper. Lover of life and of getting the most out of it. I love brooches, but hardly ever wear them. I have learned a lot from all of my grandparents.