Saturday, September 22, 2012

Old Fashioned Brown Sugar Cookies


This afternoon TJ said to me, "Remember when you used to make those cookies in Medicine Hat, that were kind of a drop cookie or something?" In fact, they were brown sugar cookies, and they are an old-fashioned recipe. I haven't made them in years, so I instantly went into the kitchen and got started on them (not much impulse control going on today). I just love the way the recipe is written, because I think it comes from the time of wood burning stoves! I got the recipe nine or ten years ago from a website that I can't find anymore.

Anyways, if you like simple, plain cookies that go good with coffee or milk, here is the recipe. I have added some of my own comments (in brackets), because they can be a little tricky to make 
the first time.

Brown Sugar Cookies

2 cups brown sugar (I used Demerara)
1 cup melted shortening (I used to always substitute butter instead of shortening in the past, and in my opinion, butter is better. Today I used shortening because I had it on hand, and they were not quite as good)
3 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 teaspoon soda
Flour to mix stiff (I used whole wheat flour this time, but they are better tasting with all-purpose flour)


Mix ingredients in order given.
Add just enough flour to roll. (This is actually quite a lot of flour! Add it slowly by the half cup, and when it is getting less sticky but too hard to mix with the spoon, you must simply use your hands! Also, they roll out pretty nicely, just remember to dust your surface and rolling pin with flour)

Cut in shapes as desired. (I used the screw band from a mason jar lid)
Sprinkle with brown sugar and bake in a moderate hot oven. (I have figured out, I think I remember a phone call to my gramma about this, that the right temp is about 375 degrees. There is no baking time on the recipe, but they are cooked within 7-9 minutes, no longer or they will dry out)

Enjoy! They make quite a few - I had three large cookie sheets full, 
with a few scraps left over for Ares.




No comments:

Post a Comment

My photo
New resident of Vancouver, B.C. Student of counselling and art therapy. Collector of scrap paper. Writer of songs and other things. I sing a lot. Eater of lentils. Shopper of old, used things. Crafter. Beekeeper. Lover of life and of getting the most out of it. I love brooches, but hardly ever wear them. I have learned a lot from all of my grandparents.